Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Wooden Beer Flights - DIY


I just love blind beer tastings!  I always loved the beer tasting flights at micro-breweries and wanted to have a set at home.  I love filling them with 5 different beers, and having people vote on which beer is their favorite.  Sometimes your pick will surprise you!  Making these beer flights were fairly simple: 
  • I bought some 1x4's (wood of your choice - I used white wood). 
  • I laid out the cups to determine how close together I wanted them to be and then I used a 2" hole saw bit to drill the holes for the cups.  The total length of my beer flight is 18.5" long, which includes the handle.
  • I purchased these cups, they were the perfect tasting size. 
  • I drew the type of handle I wanted and used a jigsaw to cut it, and then sanded it plenty to fix all of my imperfections. 
  • Lastly I drilled 4 smaller holes to fit equally sized dowels.  In this way the beer flight would stand up, which just made it look cooler and less chance of any of the glasses being knocked over.  I placed felt pads at the bottom of the dowels so they would have a softer landing when set down. 
All that is left is to pick the perfect stain.  I have also considered using a woodburner to place our initial at the end.  Lots of creativity you can use here! 
 
Enjoy and Cheers!
 




No comments:

Post a Comment